The start of the new year drives us humans to start life over again.
But, we just seem to do the same things thinking that “this time” things will be different.
The sad result is we come on to December 31st the same as we left the last one.
It doesn’t have to be this way.
I have some good news, you CAN make this year different.
You can become the person you were created to be.
By taking some simple action steps, right now, you can set the pace for the year to come.
Remember, the past is gone and you can do nothing about yesterday; the future is in God’s hands and you cannot make tomorrow come any faster than time allows, today however is all yours.
Nothing happens without action! Follow these steps and you will be taking control of your life at last.
Remove The Negative
Would you allow someone to come into your house, poison your food and expect you to eat it? Of course, not.
However, that’s what we do when we allow people to poison us with negative, hateful and destructive content on social media and in our life. Decide now to stop this unnecessary and unwanted flood of negativity coming from unwelcome sources.
Here’s 3 actions to work on now:
- Go through your social media accounts and disconnect with anyone who is constantly posting nasty, hateful and ugly things that you can see. That includes friends and family too. I believe that we all have the right to say want we wish and believe what we want to believe, but we also have the right not to listen to it. I am not talking about disconnecting from anyone you disagree with. Different points of view can sharpen us and make us think. I am talking about useless tirades that serve no purpose but to attempt to shock and hurt. You may want to read my article: When it is Good to Be Antisocial.
- Love, care for and respect those in your life who are always negative and hurtful; just don’t spend time with them. I fully understand that sometimes these people are loved ones and we cannot remove them from our lives. We can however limit their effect on our life.
- Limit the time you spend listening to, reading or watching news. The problem with a 24-hour news cycle is that they have a lot of time to fill. They do that with all the negative and troubling stories they can find. You control what you wish to hear and see, not them. Have a set amount of news you will take in every day and stay with it.
Embrace The Positive
Just as you control the amount of negative influences in your life, you also control the positive.
Purposely fill your mind and heart with uplifting and positive things that will help you to succeed and make you a better person.
Here’s 3 actions to work on now:
- Positive people do not cover their eyes and minds and pretend that everything is wonderful. They know that negative and bad things happen in life; that is how life works. The difference is that where a negative person sees the problem and allows themselves to sink into despair and anger, the positive person knows there is an answer to every problem. Search for the answer as a detective solves a mystery. Look for clues and keep going until you make it better. In the end, you will learn a lot, solve the problem and have fun in the process.
- Greet every person you meet with a smile and kind word. When you show yourself to others as a positive person, you will cause them to feel better and in turn help them to be more positive. Positive people have two powerful effects on other people. One is that they rub off and others start to see things in a more positive light. Second, and this applies to the hard core negative people, your positive attitude will drive them crazy! Both are excellent outcomes.
- Daily, fill your life with positive input. Read positive and inspiring books. Listen to positive and uplifting music. Subject yourself to positive and character building classes, online courses or teaching series. The stronger the input the greater the outcome.
For more about how you can be your best, read the book: Getting Personal: A Guide to Personal Development.
Live In Gratitude
There is nothing that will change your attitude, your outlook on life, your relationships with others or your future as much as having a grateful heart.
Gratitude is more than just being thankful. Gratitude comes from the heart and is not just an act of good manners. A grateful person not only appreciates things done for them but is grateful for all of life.
They see wonders all around them and never cease to appreciate what God has blessed them with.
To cultivate a truly grateful heart, here’s 3 actions to work on now:
- Recognize that you are not a perfect being. You make mistakes, fall into all manner of wrong and struggle with a negative attitude. Knowing this, now understand that God, your Creator, loves you deeply and created you with a wonderful purpose to fulfill. He loves you so much that He sent His Only Son, Jesus Christ, to pay the price for all YOUR mistakes. All we can do is be grateful for such a priceless gift.
- Show all people that you appreciate all they do for you. Never miss an opportunity to say thank you for a kindness dome. That includes someone opening a door for you or paying off all your bills. There is not kindness too small or too large that does not deserve our showing appreciation for it.
- Do not allow complaining and fussing about life to enter your life. Everything will not always run smoothly. There will be times of hurt and disappointment. This is all part of life – it means you have life, and for that you should be grateful. Keep a thankful heart for all you experience and learn from every event, person or problem. With a grateful spirit, you can overcome every difficulty life can through at you, and have fun doing it.
The search for peace in life has been going on ever since life first started. We have books on peace, seminar given to help us find peace, committees to negotiate peace, laws that demand peace, yet no one seems to experience peace.
True peace is an often misunderstood and confused concept.
It’s that inner awareness that you are right where you are meant to be in life.
It’s knowing that “right now” you have all you need and there is nothing you lack.
The key is, we can all experience peace in this life if we are willing to follow a few simple, yet difficult, tasks.
Here’s 3 actions to work on now:
- Try to stop worrying about what you do not have and start appreciating what you do have. We all have needs, and some of those are urgent and important, however, worry and stress does not bring about an answer to those needs. Rather than worry, take time to be calm, think things through and discover the answer of what you need to do. Then, take the action needed to make it happen. Trust that God will see you through and allow Him to direct you down the right path.
- Do you best to get along with other people. We all know those people who are disagreeable and argue with you about everything. The answer is not to allow then to upset you. It takes two to argue. Learn to just refuse to enter the conversation. Also, do not be that person to others.
- Cultivate and maintain that positive attitude we talked of earlier. Positive people have a knack at being more peaceful people. When you know that you will come out on top it makes the struggles of life something you can face with confidence. When you know that the One who created you, Who created the universe, has a purpose for you and He fully intended for you to fulfill that purpose, how can you lose?
Over To You
These are some simple actions that every person can take and they will produce wonderful results. You do not have to settle for what has always been.
As Tony Robbins often says, “If you do what you always did you will get what you always got.”
You can start fresh and you can do it right now. You are in control. For good or bad, positive or negative, you make the choice and you must take the action.
A successful life can be yours if you just, be your best, love God, have good manners, discover the unknown and change your world.